- 3 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 6 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
Recommendation: Use Dutch-processed cocoa powder, which has a milder flavor than regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a 1-quart microwave safe pitcher, heat up 1/2 cup of milk 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar. Add to the hot milk, stirring with a long spoon until mixture is smooth and syrupy. If lumps form, whisk to break them up.
- Add the vanilla and half-and-half or light cream. Fill the rest of the pitcher with milk, stir, and heat in the microwave 2 minutes. Remove and stir, and then heat another minute, or until almost steaming.
You'll love making personalized drink mix favors like this!