Published October 18, 2007
Aristotle once said "Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods." August celebrates International Friendship Day, a day to appreciate your friends for their contribution to your life. Too often we forget to tell our friends how much they mean to us, so take advantage of International Friendships Day and let them know that you appreciate them. Having trouble thinking of ways to celebrate International Friendship Day? Have no fear; here are ten great ways to let your friends know just how much they mean to you.
- Make a mix tape for your friend of all the songs that characterize your friendship. This is especially good for friends with many miles between them; songs are a great way to help bring wonderful memories flowing back.
- Girls! When was the last time you had a sleepover? Can't remember? Start friendship day early and have a good old fashioned sleepover! Buy spa gift baskets or kits fullof supplies and go ahead give each other manicures, tell secrets and act like a kid again, you will be amazed at how good it feels.
- Make a special friendship scrapbook, include photos, old concert tickets, quotes on friendship or anything that will make your friend feel special.
- If you can plan on spending the whole day with your best friend, try doing something big like a theme park or hiking trip.
- Make a point to call all of your friends and let them know that its International Friendship day and that you are thinking about them. You will make their day and you get to feel great about it. "Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold"!
- Make some new friends and perform some random acts of kindness. Pay for the strangers drink in front of you at Starbucks or buy a few toys for the children's hospital.
- Fresh flowers are a great way to make someone feel special. Yellow flowers symbolize friendship, so send your buddy a bouquet of yellow roses.
- Dedicate a song on the radio to a friend or to a few friends. Anytime You Need A Friend by Mariah Carey, Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion, Best Friend by Brandy, Ben by Michael Jackson, Count On Me by Whitney Houston and Cece Winans are all great friendship songs.
- Grab a camera or visit a photo machine and take some photos of you and your friends enjoying yourselves!
- Or you could for the old fashioned way and get to them through their stomachs, bake a cake or order up a big cookie bouquet to let them know how much you love and appreciate them.
However you decide to celebrate International Friendship Day you can be certain that your friends will be pleasantly surprised by your display of kindness. So have fun and remember what "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up." - Bible: Ecclesiastes