Baby Shower Hints, Tips and Fun
Planning a baby shower for the expectant mother is the best way to congratulate her blessed event.
Who plans the baby shower? Any relative, close friend or coworker can host the baby shower.
Most baby showers are held before the baby is born. Some are held after the conception but, more often than not, most baby showers are held toward the end of pregnancy. It is a welcome diversion for the expecting mom to have her baby shower in the last trimester. It also brings more enjoyment and fun as the new mom is sporting a big belly towards the end.
However, before setting a date for the party, ensure to consult with the parents-to-be first and foremost. It would be a shame if a party is planned and invitations are sent and then find out that the most important people cannot make it.
Send out invitations early enough to give the guests a few weeks’ notice. This allows the guests to free up their schedules as well as to shop for the perfect gift.
In the traditional way, baby showers were held for the mother-to-be. However, there is increasing popularity for co-ed baby showers. In my opinion, a co-ed baby shower is probably more enjoyable and it is wonderful if the father-to-be is included. A father often feels left out throughout the pregnancy and after the birth of the newborn baby. A co-ed baby shower is a wonderful way to congratulate the father as well!
Themed baby showers are also very popular and makes the party more festive. Plan your theme and purchase matching invitations, napkins, plates and all other baby shower party supplies. Although it takes more work to plan, a themed baby shower can make the party seem more organized.
The most favorite and enjoyable tradition of a baby shower are the activities and games. Here are some popular and fun games:
- Baby Food Taste Test - Buy eight jars of baby food - cereal, fruit, veggies, and meat. Cover the jars with foil and write a number on the side of each jar. Pass out plastic spoons, paper plates, and paper and pencil for each player. Ask players to write the numbers 1 through 8 around the outside of the plate. Pass around each jar of baby food and have players drop a spoonful next to each number. They must taste the globs and try to identify each flavor. Remove the foil to reveal the answers. Whoever has the most correct answers wins a prize.
- How Big is Baby? - Bring a roll of toilet paper pass it around and have everyone tear off the exact amount that they think will go around the expectant mother. The person with the length of toilet paper that is the closest wins of course.
- Diaper Doo Doo - Take 6 disposable diapers and put a different kind of candybar (½ a bar will usually do) in each one and let them sit in the sun or a warm place to melt. Label them 1 through 6. Pass the "dirty diapers" around and the winner is the one who can identify the most correctly.
- Don’t say "Baby" - When the guests arrive, give each a clothespin to wear. Tell each guest that they can’t say the word "baby". If a guest catches someone saying "baby", they may take the clothespin away from them. If, for example, a guest has 3 pins from previously taking them away from others and someone catches her saying "baby" then that guest now gets to take all 3 of her pins. The person with the most clothes pins at the end of the shower wins the game.
- Baby Pictionary - This game is based upon the original Pictionary board game. Before the shower, place words relating to baby activities and items on small cards. (ex: Changing a diaper, giving birth, feeding time) At the shower, create teams and give each one a pad of paper and pencil. Let one member of the team see a card, then tell them to draw the word or phrase for their partners to guess. Use a timer or just play until someone guesses. When the time is up, the teams total up the number of words they have guessed correctly and the one who has the most wins a prize.
There are many, many other baby shower games and activities that you can choose to make your baby shower fun and exciting.
Lastly, what makes for a great baby shower gift? Chances are the new mother requires many baby necessities including clothing, bottles, a car seat, bibs, personalized baby blankets, and more.
We have has charming baby gift baskets that are guaranteed to make the new baby squeal in delight, functional gift baskets filled with baby necessities that every new parent wants and needs and personalized baby gifts that make exceptional keepsakes of the blessed event. Be sure to browse our adorable musical crib mobiles and soft, cuddly baby blankets.
Make the new mom’s baby shower one to remember. This is a wonderful event in her life and what better way to congratulate her!