Marmalade Roll Recipe
These marmalade rolls are something especially delicious and totally different than your average cookies. Another type of jam, such as strawberry or apricot, can be substituted for the marmalade in the recipe.
- About 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus extra for dusting the cake
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a 10"x 15"x 1" jelly roll pan with buttered parchment paper. Spread out a dish towel and sprinkle it with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar.
- Sift together the cake four, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer, until slightly thickened and lemon colored. Continue to beat while adding the water and the granulated sugar.
- With a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until thoroughly blended. Stir into the vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading to the edges. Bake 10-12 minutes, check after 10 minutes. The top of the cake should be golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven.
- Invert the cake on the dish towel and carefully remove the parchment paper. Immediately spread all but two tablespoons of the marmalade evenly over the surface of the hot cake. Starting with a long edge and using the dish towel to assist you, roll the cake into a log. The cake may crack slightly. Spread the reserved marmalade over the top of the cake and sprinkle with a little confectioners' sugar. Be sure to allow the cake to cool before cutting.