Just in time for Thanksgiving, this easy pumpkin dessert utilizes a yellow cake mix combined with butter and nuts to make a delectable topping for the light and fluffy pumpkin base. It has been a family favorite for years. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of homemade whipped cream and your Thanksgiving dinner guests will surely be impressed!
1 cup granulated sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 - 29 oz can pumpkin
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. salt
1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 box of yellow cake mix (no pudding added)
1 cup of chopped pecans
4 Tbsp. melted butter
Carton of Cool Whip, Vanilla Ice Cream or Homemade Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degF. Line a 9x13 pan with wax paper (this makes it much easier to remove and serve the dessert). Set aside.
2. Mix together the sugar, eggs, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and milk. Pour the mixture into the wax-lined baking pan.
3. Sprinkle the DRY yellow cake mix on top the pumpkin mixture, then evenly sprinkle the chopped nuts on top. Pour the melted butter evenly over the nuts and cake mix.
4. Bake for an hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Cool dessert completely. Cut into squares and serve with cool whip, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Photo is courtesy of Betty Crocker.