The white cake mix in this recipe not only cuts down on the ingredients needed, but it also creates a delicious twist to traditional rolled sugar cookies. With the wide variety of cookie cutters available, you're sure to find one suitable for any occasion!
* 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or lemon extract
* 1 egg
* 1 cup Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
* Food colors
1. Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheets). In large bowl beat cake mix, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on high speed 1 minute.
2. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each part 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered surface with cloth-covered rolling pin. Cut with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters into desired shapes; sprinkle with sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place 2 inches apart.
3. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until light brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. 4. In microwavable bowl, microwave frosting uncovered on High 20 to 30 seconds or until melted; stir. Frost cookies.
5. Stir together small amounts of water and food color. Paint colors on freshly frosted cookies, using fine-tip brush, then swirl colors with brush or toothpick to create marbled designs.
Dry completely before storing.
Makes about 4 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.