You may not find gold at the end of these rainbow cookies, but the delicious flavor makes up for it!
4 colors of cookie dough are rolled into a log and then sliced to create a rainbow shaped treat! For detailed instructions on shaping the dough along with images like the one shown, check out Loving Creations for You.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- assorted colors of paste food coloring
- 4 tablespoons prepared vanilla frosting
- 1/4 cup yellow decorator sugar
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla and almond extracts. Gradually add the flour and salt. Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Divide dough into 10 equal sections. (You may want to weight the whole lump of dough, then divide by 10 to get 10 equal sections). Combine 4 sections of the dough with red paste-type coloring until smooth. Combine 3 sections of the dough with green coloring until smooth. Combine 2 sections of the dough with yellow coloring until smooth, and combine remaining dough with blue coloring. Wrap each section of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape blue dough into an 8-inch log. Shape yellow dough into 8x3-inch rectangle; place on waxed paper. Place blue log in center of yellow rectangle and fold yellow edges up around blue log, pinching to form seal. Roll to form smooth log. Roll green dough into 8x5-inch rectangle. Place yellow log in center, pinch edges of green to seal; roll smooth. Roll red dough into 8x7-inch rectangle. Place green log in center, pinch edges of red to seal and roll smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut log in half length-wise. Cut each half into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8 to 12 minutes. (Do not brown.) Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks and let cool completely. Pipe small amount of white frosting on bottom corner of each cookie to resemble a cloud. Sprinkle with yellow decorating sugar. Let stand until frosting is set. Make a rainbow cookie gift basket to add some color to a loved one's day.