Published March 29, 2010 by
1. From the lemon, grate 1 tblsp peel and then squeeze 1 tblsp juice. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside. In large bowl beat sugar and butter on low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium-high then beat 3 minutes or until light and creamy, frequently scraping bowl with spatula. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg, vanilla, and lemon peel and juice until mixed. Beat in flour mixture, just until mixed, occasionally scraping bowl. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; flatten each into a disk shape then wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight, until firm enough to roll. (Or place dough in freezer 30 minutes.)
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. With floured 2 1/2- to 4-inch favorite springtime cookie cutters, cut dough into as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings to reroll later. Place cookies, about 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
4. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. With wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool, about 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
5. When cookies are cool, if you like, decorate with frosting and sprinkles.