Cookies on a stick are fun to bake and really make a great impact for very little effort. For your next party or to give to someone you want to thank or who isn’t feeling well, bake up a batch of eye catching flower pop cookies.
Sugar cookie pops are nothing more than cookies on a stick. They are then arranged into a cookie bouquet and placed inside a vase or flower pot.
You can make your own sugar cookie dough, or you can buy store bought dough and roll it out. You’re going to need cookie cutters that are in the shape of flowers. Or, you can use round cutters and decorate your cookie pops to look like flowers. The important part is that you get the proper sticks. You’ll need lollipop sticks from a craft store. Buy the long kind so you can make long-stemmed cookies. You can always cut the sticks down to make shorter flowers. And you need to place the sticks inside the cookies before you bake them so that they stay firm.
Another thing you will need is a clean flower pot. Terra cotta pots look most authentic. You’ll be securing all your cookie pops to the pot, so you’ll need either floral foam or Styrofoam to stick the lollipops into. Tape down the floral foam or Styrofoam so it doesn’t tip out of the pot. Use green tissue paper to pad the top of the pot and cover the foam.
Here is a great recipe from the Jelly Belly jelly bean company. Their version of the flower pop uses jelly beans in a clever way. Visit their site at www.jellybelly.com to see the finished photo.
Here’s how they did it.
Courtesy of Jelly Belly
These colorful cookies are fun and easy to make, and are topped with some of your favorite Jelly Belly Confections like Mint Cremes and Swedish fish, and of course lots of Jelly Belly jelly beans!
• 1 roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 tablespoon egg white powder
• 1 to 2 tablespoons water
• Assorted Jelly Belly jelly beans
• Mint Cremes by Jelly Belly
• Green Swedish Fish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Knead the sugar cookie dough with the flour on a work surface until smooth. Divide the dough in half.
2. Roll out half on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1/4 inch thickness. Use 2 to 3 inch flower shaped cookie cutters and cut out as many shapes as possible. Transfer the shapes to the prepared pans on either long edge. Insert a lollipop stick into the dough about half way into the cut out.
3. Bake until cookies are golden about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough and lollipop sticks.
4. Combine the powdered sugar and egg white powder in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and mix well. Add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is thick. Spoon the mixture into a re-sealable bag.
5. Snip a very small corner from the bag, about 1/8 inch. Pipe dots of frosting on cookies and attach the Jelly Belly beans. Pipe dots of frosting on cookies and attach the Mint Cremes or cut some of the Jelly Belly beans in half crosswise and add, cut side down. Continue with the remaining Jelly Belly beans and cookies. Let cookies dry at least 2 hours.
6. Place a piece of Styrofoam into a clean planter or serving bowl. Fill planter with green Jelly Belly beans. Insert the cookie pops into the planter, pushing the sticks into the Styrofoam to secure at different heights. Add a few green Swedish Fish as the leaves.
More Cookie Bouquet Fun: