Inviting kids into the kitchen to make their own snacks and meals can spark a lifelong interest in cooking! A fun child birthday gift is an apron and some kid-sized cooking utensils made just for them!
Below I've included a few of my favorite summer treat recipes. Ice Pops and Smoothies are fun summer treats that kids can help make. Fruits and yogurts make them refreshing and healthy too! This summer whip up some cool and refreshing snacks while enjoying time together preparing them.
It would be hard to find a kid that didn't love ice pops! Making your own is easy. You can purchase ice pop molds, or make your own in small paper cups or even ice cube trays.
In a large pitcher, stir together the lemonade concentrate and water. Place strawberries into the container of a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour in some of the lemonade if necessary to help with blending. Stir strawberry puree into the lemonade. Pour into molds, and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
For your next trip to the beach, pack these easy to make fruit kabobs into your cooler for something healthy to munch on. Kids love "building" their very own fruit creation! Summer is a great time to find healthy, organic fruit at your local farmer's market.
What You Need:
Alternate fruits, meats and cheeses on the wooden skewers and enjoy!
Gourmet desserts are sure to impress, and here's one that's easy to make and looks great! Kids will love cutting up this "pizza" and serving a slice to each family member.
Photo Credit: Mom Spark
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Foil line and Grease a 15-inch pizza pan.
2. Prepare brownie mix according to directions on box. Pour onto prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and cool.
3. Beat cream cheese while adding pineapple and sugar together in a bowl. Spread mixture over brownie crust. Arrange banana, strawberry slices, marshmallows, and cherries over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with nuts and coconut. Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Add whipped cream on top and mint for garnish. To serve, slice as you would a pizza and enjoy!
Throw in some yogurt, fruit, juices and more to create a delicious and refreshing drink that will keep your energy up for all those fun summer activities! Head out to the garden or local farmer's market and fill up your fruit basket, then click the links below for great smoothie recipes.
What would summer be without a little dirt? This delicious snack looks dirty, but is oh so good!
1. In a dish or your choice (plastic cups, or even a small, clean sand pail) layer crushed Oreo cookies, chocolate pudding, and Cool Whip.
2. Top with crushed cookies and place gummy worms on the top!
Alternative: If you want sand instead of dirt use any vanilla sandwich cookie, vanilla pudding and Cool Whip. Add gummy whales or eels or chocolate sea shells for a beach theme!