Toll Free: 800-590-1388 - Customer Service - Account - Order Status - Wish List - FAQ
Free Shipping Gift Baskets
Gift Baskets
Gift Baskets Blog
Find Gift Baskets & Personalized Gifts with Delivery For Any Occasion !

Gift Baskets & Personalized Gifts For Any Occasion

Gifts for Kids

All About Popcorn - Popcorn Fun Facts

Published June 25, 2010        by Rae Ann

Personalized Ceramic Popcorn Bowl

*The average American (every man, woman and child) consumes 54 quarts of popcorn annually which means that the U.S. eats about 17 million quarts of popcorn each and every year. Americans consume more popcorn than the citizens of any other country in the world.

*If you wanted to create a line of popped popcorn from LA to NY city, you'd need more than 352,028,160 pieces of popcorn.

* 70% of popcorn consumed in America is consumed at home.  The other 30% of popcorn is consumed outside the home at places like baseball games, movie theaters, and in the office from corporate popcorn gifts.

*Fall and winter are the seasons when the most popcorn is consumed. This timing coincides perfectly with the annual popcorn harvest in the Midwest. In fact, October is officially National Popcorn Poppin' Month.

*Not surprisingly, the U.S. is the largest agricultural grower of popcorn in the world - mostly in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio. There are many midwest cities that claim to be the popcorn capital of the world.

*According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the world's largest popcorn ball was unveiled in September 2006 in Lake Forest, Illinois. It weighed a whopping 3,423 pounds and measured 8 feet in diameter. The total circumference of the popcorn ball was 24.5 feet. It took employees of a local popcorn tin company 2 days to make the giant-sized snack.

*Popcorn is one of the healthiest snacks you can eat with only 31 calories per air-popped cup or only 55 calories per oil-popped cup. It contains no sodium and is naturally sugar free and high in fiber.

*Popcorn is a member of the maize/corn family, but it is the only one of the 6 types that pops. This is because it has a thicker hull than other types of corn. This hull allows pressure to build inside the kernel enabling it to pop.

*Want to do a fun little experiment the next time you are popping corn? Leave the lid off then just stand back and watch because popcorn is said to be able to pop up to 3 feet up in the air.

2 thoughts on “All About Popcorn - Popcorn Fun Facts”

  1. Wow thanks for the info i'm going to use it for for my science fair project! p.s i love how you decorated your website:)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.