Published May 01, 2008
Butterscotch krimpets are a great treat to make. Much like cookies, these little wonders are delightful bites on any occasion.
For the cake
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 (16 ounce) box golden pound cake mix (see note)
- 2/3 cup water
To make the cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9x12 (13) inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer in high speed until thick but not stiff. Blend the egg whites with cake mix and water, mixing well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the pan from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Use cake mix only as directed in the recipe below; do not follow the instructions on the package. If you don't have a 9x12-inch baking pan, you can use a 9x13-inch pan. Fill the extra inch with aluminum foil, greasing the edge of the foil as if it were the side of the pan.
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup butterscotch morsels
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
To make the frosting
Melt the butterscotch morsels in the top pot of a double broiler over low heat or in a microwave bowl, mix butter with melted butterscotch morsels. Add the confectioners' sugar, blending with an electric mixer until smooth.
- 6. Spread the frosting on top of cooled cake. Cut cake into nine horizontal rows, and then make two lengthwise cuts, dividing the cake into 27 equal pieces.