Published December 10, 2007
To make bars instead of drop cookies, spread dough in a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 1 cup (2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and the granulated sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- In a small dish, mix the water and the baking soda. Add to the butter mixture, blending well.
- Sift the flour and salt together, than add to the batter. Mix 15 to 20 seconds, until just combined. Stir in the chocolate morsels and, if desired, nuts.
- Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are light golden brown and wire racks to cool completely.