Published October 18, 2012
When you ask a woman friend or family member what she wants for her birthday, Christmas, or other occasions, it is likely she will say, “Oh nothing!” While she means to be polite, this is an incredibly unhelpful answer! You can’t let special days and events pass unnoticed, but don’t worry, we have the answer: cookies. A lovely cookie basket is a great way to tell her how special she is and how much you appreciate her.
Since most of us can whip up a batch of cookies without much difficulty, some extra thought and creativity will go a long way. Here are some out-of-the-ordinary recipes to make the perfect cookies for women:
Rugelach, recipe courtesy of Gourmet.com
This is a sweet, decadent treat that will be savored by your recipient.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apricot preserves or raspberry jam
- 1 cup loosely packed golden raisins, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Milk for brushing cookies
- Whisk flour and salt in bowl.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until well-combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until soft dough forms.
- Form into ball and wrap in plastic. Flatten into 7 x 5 inch rectangle. Chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Put oven rack in middle and preheat to 350? F.
- Line bottom of large, shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces. Chill 3, still wrapped. Roll remaining piece into 12 x 8 inch rectangle on floured surface.
- Put dough onto parchment paper and then transfer to a try. Chill while rolling out the remaining dough the same way. Stack with parchment paper between layers.
- Whisk ½ cup sugar with cinnamon.
10. Working with 1 dough rectangle, put long side nearest you. Spread ¼ cup preserves or jam over dough. Sprinkle with ¼ cup raisins, ¼ cup walnuts, and 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar.
11. Roll dough tightly into log. Place in pan, seam side down. Pinch ends and tuck underneath.
12. Repeat with remaining dough.
13. Brush with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
14. Make ¾-inch cuts cross-wise, not going all the way through. Chill if not firm enough.
15. Bake until golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on rack and then transfer logs to cutting board and slice all the way through.
Arrange cookies in your basket, in a container, or wrapped in plastic. Add some coffee or tea packets for a perfect afternoon treat.
Chocolate Peppermint Patties, from Easy-Cookies
This delectable cookie features a favorite combination: chocolate and mint.
- 2 cups mint chocolate chips, divided
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 27 mint peppermint patties, quartered
- 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350? F.
- Melt 1 cup of chips in microwave or double boiler, stirring frequently.
- In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and blend into creamed mixture.
- Add remaining chips.
- Wrap spoonful of dough around each peppermint patty. Roll in powdered sugar.
- Put on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Roll in powdered sugar again, and cool.
Chai Spiced Cookies, from theKitchn
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat to 350° F.
- Beat butter with granulated sugar until well-blended. Stir in flour, spices, salt, and vanilla.
- Roll dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined sheets.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes, until golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar. Let dry completely, and then wrap them up!
Give these in a pretty basket, or set up as a woman cookie bouquet. Give the special ladies in your life a treat that they will always remember!