Published October 16, 2013
It's nice to have some extra gifts on hand sometimes for those last minute needs. Here are a few ideas for extra gifts to have around in a pinch!
Kids can be tough to buy for, especially these days. When you’re trying to buy a kids gift for someone who you don’t even know yet, it make the situation doubly difficult. Your best bet is to keep gifts for a few different age ranges on hand. Here are some good choices.
- Plush Toys: These are a great idea for little ones, and they still work for tweens too. The key is to get slightly higher quality plush toys, especially if you’ll be giving them to little ones, as button eyes, noses, and sparkly pieces can certainly create a choking hazard for tiny ones.
- Coloring Books: With kids as young as two or as old as nine or ten, coloring books or art supplies in general are a great gift to keep on hand. They’re simple, easy to find on clearance, and they have the ability to keep kids happy for long periods of time.
- Watch: It’s hard to find gifts that an older kid would like to put away as a just in case, but a watch might do it in most cases. Watches are far less expensive than you might think, and you may even have some luck in picking them up on clearance. The only problem with a gift like this one is that sooner or later, it’s going to run out of batteries, and no one wants to give the gift of something that already doesn’t work.
- Classic Kids’ Books: There are some books out there that every kid should read at least once. Unfortunately, many kids don’t these days, so grabbing a few to put back is a wonderful idea. Texts like The Secret Garden, Kidnapped, The Railway Children, and A Wrinkle in Time never get old.
- Gift Cards: Few kids can refuse the temptation of a gift card. It’s a natural present that almost anyone would love and the good news is that with kids, you don’t have to put much on the gift card to make them feel rich. Pick up a $10 gift card to McDonalds, $5 to Wal-Mart, or simply a small amount on a cash card, and you’ve just given them one of the best gifts they can ever receive.
If you keep a few extra things on hand for adults too, you can make sure no one leaves your home empty handed. Here are a few great choices that are just right in any budget.
- Wine: There are very few adults who wouldn’t enjoy a good bottle of wine, so feel free to pick one up and put it back. When you need to pull it out as a last minute gift, simply tie a cute bow around it or create a mini wine gift basket, and any recipient will likely be pleased.
- Scented Candles: This is probably a better gift for a woman than it is a man, but it might make a nice gift for a couple as well. If possible, pick up the local, homemade variety for an added touch.
- Reusable Shopping Bag: It seems almost everyone is going green these days, and quality reusable shopping bags can be a huge help in that process. Pick up some bright colors or higher quality canvas ones to put back in your supply of just in case gifts.
- Food Gifts: Food is delicious, and it’s the perfect way to bring people together, so it only make sense that it’s a wonderful just in case gift. You’ll have to keep an eye on this one, though, because sooner or later, that box of chocolates you have stashed away for that moment you need a gift is going to get old!
Keeping a solid supply of gifts on hand is the perfect way to let unexpected visitors know you care.