Published September 05, 2007
For the cake
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4-5 drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing well.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter is melted and milk is hot but not scalded. Add the milk mixture to batter and mix thoroughly (batter will be thin). Add food coloring. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until cake is golden brown or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, and then turn out onto a wire rack.
For the chocolate sauce
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the chocolate morsels and butter in a saucepan over low heat until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Or heat the morsels and butter in a microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals. Spread the sauce over the top of the cake.
Consider this a nice chocolate gift for any friend or family member.