Kids love dressing up for Halloween so why not give them another opportunity to show off this year's costume by hosting a Halloween party for their friends or neighborhood kids. All those little ghosts and goblins will have a blast getting together to play games such as bobbing for apples, eat some festive Halloween party food and receive a fun little Halloween party favor gift to take home with them. Here are some ideas for party food that will tie in perfectly with the Halloween theme.
- Cut-out cookies. Kids love cookies so what better way to make the party festive than with various Halloween shaped cookies. From witches to pumpkins to black cats, cookie cutters are available at local craft and party shops. To make it easy, just buy a few rolls of refrigerated sugar cookie dough and use the Halloween shaped cutters to bake up some festive cookies. Decorate them with colored icing if you are creative or just use simple orange and black sugar sprinkles to make an easy dessert the kids will love. Another great alternative is to buy a Halloween cookie bouquet to use as a party centerpiece and as the dessert. The one from Holiday Gifts & Gift Baskets features ghosts, pumpkins and black cats surrounding a center cookie that says Happy Halloween.
- Monster mouths. Here is a quick and easy snack that the kids will love to eat at the party. Buy some red apples, peanut butter and miniature marshmallows to create these appetizer treats. Core and slice each red apple into 6 to 8 long segments to create the monster mouth. Toss the segments in a plastic storage bag with some lemon juice or Sprite to keep the apples from turning brown. Then ‘frost' each segment with peanut butter and place 3 or 4 mini marshmallows in the peanut butter to create the gums and teeth of these monster mouths. These little treats are super cute and healthy too.
- Pumpkin cheese ball. The kids will devour this festive cheese ball and parents will be in awe of your ingenuity. Buy a couple packs of shredded cheddar cheese and a block of cream cheese. Mix just enough cream cheese in with the cheddar cheese to make it stick together and allow you to shape it into a ball that is 4 to 5" in diameter. After it is a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a few hours so it sets up. Then use the back of a regular kitchen knife to create the pumpkin ribs (vertical lines around the pumpkin). Top it off with a 1" tall piece of broccoli stalk to create the pumpkin stalk at the top. Keep it refrigerated until party time when you set it out on a plate surrounded by crackers.
- Broom cookies. Bake up a batch of peanut butter cookies either from scratch or from refrigerated cookie dough. Prior to baking, use a fork to press down on each cookie to create the vertical lines of the broom bristles. Stick a pretzel rod into the cookies to make the broom handle. Then just bake the cookies for the recommended amount of time.
- Graveyard cake. This fun and festive dessert is easy to make and looks great in the center of the food table at Halloween parties. Just buy and bake your favorite flavor of cake in a 9" x 13" cake pan. You can either leave the cake in the pan or dump it out onto a rectangular tray if you are going to use it as a centerpiece. Frost the cake with a thin layer of chocolate frosting. Take a 15 oz bag of crushed chocolate Oreo cookies and sprinkle it atop the cake so it looks like dirt. To make the gravestones, dip some peanut butter Nutter Butter cookies in white or gray colored chocolate and write on the top half of the cookie with black gel frosting (things like R.I.P.). After the chocolate has hardened, stick them in the ‘dirt' to make a graveyard. Then add some gummy worms, plastic skeletons and spiders to make it even scarier.
- Halloween candy bouquet favors. Give each child a little something to take home and enjoy after the party. Just buy some simple Halloween mugs or cups somewhere like Wal-mart or Oriental Trading Company. To create the bouquet, fill each mug with small pieces of Halloween candy such as lollipops, candy corn, etc. Wrap the mug in cellophane and add black and orange curling ribbon for a darling favor that both the kids and parents will love.