Nurses Make Our World Go Round
Almost everyone has had an encounter with a nurse. Whether it's for your parents, for your children, or for you! Maybe your close friend or family member is a nurse, and you turn to him or her for advice. No matter who the nurse is, the fact remains that they make our world go round. Their job function is to help people, and nurse them back to health.
Now besides that fact, the time is coming where we as a nation can thank our nurses who make our lives better! National Nurses Day is May 6 this year and every year. Which opens up the week for Nurses Week, which is May 6th through May 12th.
Different nurses have their own special day!
Did you know that during Nurses Week, there are different days that celebrate different types of nurses? It's true! Here is a breakdown of the different days that fall into the Nurses Week mix.
Image courtesy of mandalynn on Flickr
- May 6th - National Recognition Day for Nurses, National RN Recognition Day
- May 8th - National Student Nurses Day
- May 9th - National School Nurse Day (in 2012)
- May 12th - International Nurses Day
Nurses Day History
Where did this holiday come from?
May 12th, which is the last day of Nurses Week just happens to be the birthday of Florence Nightingale, who was the founder of modern nursing.
In 1965, the International Council of Nurses (ICN) decided they would celebrate "International Nurse Day" on Florence Nightingale's birthday after several years of others trying to make it an official holiday with no success.
In February of 1974, President Nixon proclaimed there would be a National Nurses Week.
In 1982, the American Nurses Association (ANA) made May 6th a formal day for National Nurses Day. The US Congress followed suit and declared May 6th as the "National Recognition Day for Nurses."
Finally, in 1993, ANA designated May 6th through the 12th as final dates of observation for National Nurses Week for 1994 and all following years.
How to Celebrate
Okay, it's Nurses Week, now what?
Well now that you know the history behind this little holiday, and the meaning behind it, I suppose you are wondering how you can celebrate appropriately! Well wonder no more because there are many different gifts for nurses out there. You just need to adapt them to your nurse and what he/she would like!
For starters, here are a few general ideas:
- Baked goods
- Dinner Gift Cards
- Thank You Gift Basket
- Gourmet Coffee
- A Plant
Funny Nurses Parody - To "I Love College" Song
Funny Nurse Quotes
Put them in your card!
If you are looking to add something sweet and humorous at the same time, why not add in a cute little nursing quote? Here are a few funny ones to get you started. Of course you can find more online if you simply google 'funny nursing quotes'.
- Doctors save lives. Nurses save doctors.
- Even Chuck Norris cannot live without nurses.
- Nursing would be a dream job if there were no doctors. - Gerhard Kocher
- Nurses - one of the few blessings of being ill. - Sara Moss-Wolfe
- Man who want pretty nurse, must be patient. - Confucius
Meaningful Nurse Quotes
Okay, so maybe your run-in with your nurse wasn't quite humorous, these can be trying times for all of us. So if you had a nurse that was there for you in the hard parts, empathetic through the hard news, and working strong at hard hours, then here are a few meaningful nurse quotes for you.
- It is not how much you do but how much love you put in the doing. - Mother Theresa
- I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results. - Florence Nightingale
- The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest. - William Osler
- Nurses Make Our World Go Round
- Nursing Celebrations
- Nurses Day History
- How to Celebrate
- Funny Nurses Parody - To "I Love College" Song
- Funny Nurse Quotes
- Meaningful Nurse Quotes