Peanut butter is not just good for sandwiches or peanut butter cookies these days. That's why this recipe for peanut butter cupcakes is genius. A delightful treat, you'll be happily surprised at how easy and quickly it's made. Ingredients: 1…
Published October 28, 2009 by
If you want to get creative with your Halloween treats this year, look no farther. The following is a recipe that is sure to satisfy even the scariest taste buds.
*1 package (about 18 oz.) of your favorite flavor cake mix (we use pumpkin or apple spice mix for Halloween)
1. Get out a couple muffin pans (enough to hold 24 cupcakes) and place your Halloween-themed paper baking cups inside the tin holders. Also preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, follow the package instructions to prepare the cake mix batter. Spoon the batter into the muffin baking cups and bake as directed on the cake box (follow the instructions for 24 cupcakes). Cool the cupcakes on a baking rack.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix the tub of ready-made frosting with some orange food coloring until you achieve the desired color. Frost the 24 cupcakes. Be sure to reserve a tablespoon or so of orange frosting to make the spider eyes. NOTE - you can leave the frosting white to make black and white webs if you prefer.
4. Using the black decorating gel, make a series of concentric circles on top of the frosted cupcakes. Then use a toothpick or knife to pull the black gel from the center of the cupcake to the outward edge of the cupcake about 8 times around the cake. This will create the web appearance.
5. To make the spider, take one large gumdrop and attach 3 pieces of black string licorice on each side to create the legs (tip...use a toothpick to make small holes for the licorice insertion into the gumdrop). Use the reserved orange frosting to make a the eyes on each gumdrop with a toothpick dipped in the frosting. Place a large gumdrop spider on the top of each cupcake.
If you don't have time to do your own Halloween goodie baking, check out our Halloween party cookie gift basket which is overflowing with iced cookies in the shapes of monsters like mummies, cyclops, and witches.
Photo courtesy of cutco.com