Serve Up Some Grub
Throw a Super Bowl party that includes more than just chips and dip on your menu. Treat your friends to a more substantial spread of football snacks and food gifts for sports lovers.
There are so many great football themed food ideas out there to try out! But be careful, they'll want to come to your house every year for Super Bowl!
- 1 pound large mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter plus a little for greasing baking dish
- 4 green onions with much of the green (trimmed)
- 1/2 cup finely minced ham
- 1 small clove garlic - finely minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Wash and trim the end of stems from mushrooms. Pop remaining stem out. Chop stems and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; brush over mushrooms. Spray a shallow baking dish (about 8-inch square, or one which will fit mushrooms in one layer) with butter-flavored spray or grease with butter.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Chop green onions; combine with reserved chopped mushroom stems, ham and garlic. Add to skillet along with the spinach; saute until tender. Add bread crumbs, salt, and pepper to vegetable mixture; stir well. Add a little cream to moisten more if necessary. Fill each mushroom cap with a little of the stuffing, mounding up. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and mushroom caps are tender.
Ancho Chile Con Carne
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in:
- Yields: 6
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Oregano Leaves (Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Cumin (Ground)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion - chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper - diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Gourmet Collection Chile Pepper (Ancho)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Chile Pepper (Chipotle)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Trim excess fat from beef. Cut beef into 5 or 6 large pieces. Place in 4-quart saucepan with broth, oregano and cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Remove beef and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Reserve broth and skim off excess fat.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic powder; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Add cooked beef, ancho and chipotle chile peppers, and salt; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved broth (including the herbed residue), stirring until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve with warmed flour tortillas, refried beans or cooked rice, if desired.
Healthy Superbowl Snacks
Flying Chicken Wings
Recipe courtesy of HomeCooking.About.com
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in:
- Yields: 4
Image by izik on Flickr
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup onion - minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 20 to 24 chicken wings
- In a nonreactive bowl mix all ingredients, turning the chicken wings to coat thoroughly. Marinate at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Turn the wings occasionally while marinating.
- Preheat the broiler or grill. Broil or grill the wings using medium to low heat, turning once, for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn the skin. (HINT: If wings cook too quickly on the outside, but the meat is still pink at the bone, then turn off the broiler and leave the wings to sit in the hot oven for 5 to 8 minutes. The wings will cook through without additional browning. Or, microwave the wings on high for a minute or so.)
- Serve the wings hot or at room temperature.
Football Cookies - Festive & Fun
Sure you will have all kinds of hot appetizers, chips and dip, but why not go for something for your sweet tooth too? Treat your guests to these yummy football shaped cookies! They're fun and incredibly festive for the big game.